Using precompiled allpix2 on Rocky linux 9

Dear developers,
this is just to report some errors/warning when we use precompiled allpix2 in Rocky linux 9; I have thought this might be of interest for you.

Here the infos about the OS:

NAME=“Rocky Linux”
VERSION=“9.1 (Blue Onyx)”
ID=“rocky”
ID_LIKE=“rhel centos fedora”
VERSION_ID=“9.1”
PLATFORM_ID=“platform:el9”
PRETTY_NAME=“Rocky Linux 9.1 (Blue Onyx)”
ANSI_COLOR=“0;32”
LOGO=“fedora-logo-icon”
CPE_NAME=“cpe:/o:rocky:rocky:9::baseos”
HOME_URL=“https://rockylinux.org/
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://bugs.rockylinux.org/
ROCKY_SUPPORT_PRODUCT=“Rocky-Linux-9”
ROCKY_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION=“9.1”
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT=“Rocky Linux”
REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION=“9.1”

I have tried centos7 version but other than the errors that you can see below:

$ source /cvmfs/clicdp.cern.ch/software/allpix-squared/2.3.2/x86_64-centos7-gcc11-opt/setup.sh
awk: symbol lookup error: /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/LCG_101/x86_64-centos7-gcc11-opt/lib/libreadline.so.8: undefined symbol: UP
awk: symbol lookup error: /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/LCG_101/x86_64-centos7-gcc11-opt/lib/libreadline.so.8: undefined symbol: UP
/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/releases/R/3.6.3-dfb24/x86_64-centos7-gcc11-opt/lib64/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/releases/R/3.6.3-dfb24/x86_64-centos7-gcc11-opt/lib64/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

the simulation is not working:

$ allpix -c main.conf
|10:29:59.629| (STATUS) Welcome to Allpix^2 v2.3.2
|10:29:59.629| (STATUS) Initialized PRNG with configured seed 0
Fatal in TROOT::InitInterpreter: cannot load library libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(and I cannot find a package to install that library, but this is my problem).

On the contrary, with centos8 I get the same error/warnings

$ source /cvmfs/clicdp.cern.ch/software/allpix-squared/2.3.2/x86_64-centos8-gcc11-opt/setup.sh
awk: symbol lookup error: /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/LCG_101/x86_64-centos8-gcc11-opt/lib/libreadline.so.8: undefined symbol: UP
awk: symbol lookup error: /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/LCG_101/x86_64-centos8-gcc11-opt/lib/libreadline.so.8: undefined symbol: UP
/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/releases/R/3.6.3-e7560/x86_64-centos8-gcc11-opt/lib64/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/releases/R/3.6.3-e7560/x86_64-centos8-gcc11-opt/lib64/R/bin/exec/R: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

but the simulation works successfully.

Since the simulations run without problems with centos8 version I was curious what is the origin of those errors/warnings.

Thanks and regards,
Marco Bomben

Hi @mbomben

I only have a guess, and that would be that Rock Linux 9 is derived from CentOS Stream 9, so some libraries might have received incompatible upgrades.

We had a cc9 version compiled in our CI some time ago but had to remove it because no LCG builds of Geant4 and ROOT were not provided for that version at the time. Once LCG103 is released we will again add that to the CI and provide precompiled binaries via CVMFS.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi @simonspa ,
sorry, I could have said directly. Rocky Linux 9 is built from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 9, so yes, it is ‘related’ to CentOS Stream 9.

Thanks for your insight! I will look for possible announcement of centos9 binaries.

Regards,
Marco Bomben