Something strange error report

Dear Allpix Squared developers,

Normally everything is fine with AllPix Squared, and without any modifications, sometimes the following two problems are suddenly encountered.

1. After running… /bin/allpix -c xxx.conf, the following error is displayed
    can not load library /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/LCG_101/x86_64-centos7-clang12-opt/lib/ibRio.so undefined symbol:_ZNK6TClass14NewObjo
  2. After source etc/scripts/setup_lxplus.sh, the following error is reported
    Detected CentOS Linux 7
    Compiler type set to LLVM, version clang12.
    -bash: /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/LCG_99/x86_64-centos7-clang12-opt/setup.sh: No such file or directory
    yes

Regards,
Bail

Dear @Bail

both could be connected with (temporary) issues connecting to CVMFS. However, it’s interesting that in one case, LCG_101 is loaded while in the other there is a reference to LCG_99.

May I ask which version of Allpix Squared you are using (allpix --version) and how you installed it?

Best regards,
Simon

Dear simonspa

First,allpix --version
source /cvmfs/clicdp.cern.ch/software/allpix-squared/1.6.1/x86_64-centos7-gcc10-opt/setup.sh
allpix --version
Allpix Squared version v1.6.1
built on 2021-01-28, 17:30:48 UTC
Second, Install steps:
1.source /cvmfs/clicdp.cern.ch/software/allpix-squared/1.6.1/x86_64-centos7-gcc10-opt/setup.sh
2. git clone Cern Authentication allpix-squaredquared.git allpix-squared
3.cd allpix-squared
4.mkidr build
5.cd build
6.cmake …
7.make -j4 install
8.source etc/scripts/setup_lxplus.sh
Run simulations!
Are there any problems with the above steps?

Best regards,
Bail

Hi @Bail

your procedure is a bit mixed up because you in fact have two versions of Allpix Squared flying around, and that’s probably causing the issue:

From CVMFS

If you don’t need to change the code of Allpix SQuared for your application, you can use the pre-installed version from CVMFS. That’s what you do with

source /cvmfs/clicdp.cern.ch/software/allpix-squared/1.6.1/x86_64-centos7-gcc10-opt/setup.sh

Now you have a ready-to-use Allpix Squared iunstallation and can directly run allpix -c ... without anything else.

On a side note, the version you are sourcing is relatively old, I would recommend you to move to v2.1:

source /cvmfs/clicdp.cern.ch/software/allpix-squared/2.1.0/x86_64-centos7-gcc11-opt/setup.sh

Your own installation

The second part of your commands are basically the installation of your own version of Allpix Squared - in that case you used the very latest master version which is in active development. For simulations this is not recommended. So if you really need your own version to tinker with, I would recommend the following recipe:

git clone https://gitlab.cern.ch/allpix-squared/allpix-squared.git
cd allpix-squared
git checkout v2.1.0
source etc/scripts/setup_lxplus.sh
mkdir build && cd build
cmake ..
make install -j4

But mixing the two options will mix the dependencies - the Allpix Squared v1.6.1 has been built with different dependencies than the master development version you are then compiling.

I hope this helps,
Simon

1 Like

Hi simonspa

I followed you steps,but have a question
when I source etc/scripts/setup_lxplus.sh
-bash: /cvmfs/sft.cern.ch/lcg/views/LCG_99/x86_64-centos7-clang12-opt/setup.sh: No such file or directory
yes

Best regards,
Bail

Hi @Bail

sorry for the confusion - but could you once more say which exact steps you did now?

/Simon

Hi simonspa

I may have found the problem, when make install -j4, it says Disk quota exceeded.
Maybe I can download the previous version instead of the latest one.
Do you have any recommendations for a historical version? How do I download it?

Best regards,
Bail

Dear @Bail

as stated above - if you are working on a machine that has CVMFS there is no need to download anything at all. Please just call the one single source command to load everything you need from CVMFS. No cmake, no make.

The disk space will however still be a problem because CVMFS caches files on your local disk and this can be several GB. Allpix Squared itself is only a couple of 10MB.

Best,
Simon

Dear simonspa

Thanks for your reply,I need to change the code so I need my own installation.I didn’t have problems with disk space when I installed versions 1.3 and 1.6.1 before, could it be because of the latest version? May I still install the previous versions?
And can Allpix Squared analogue the silicon microstrip detectors?

Regards,
Bail

Hi,

your disk space has nothing to do with Allpix Squared. The full repository is 10MB (!).

Yes, of course you can compile previous versions, either by downloading the respective tag or by cloning the git repository and checking out the tag. However, I strongly recommend staying up-to-date and instead to clear up some disk space (du -hs ~/* might help…)

/Simon