Simulation of 3D pixel sensors

Dear all,
I would like to simulate a 3D pixel sensor - like the ones depicted in this plot: https://cds.cern.ch/record/2065511/plots.
I have looked into forum, presentations and examples but I could not find any existing example.
At the same time I am under the impression that if I provide the electric field and weighting potential maps it should be straightforward to simulate such a sensor.

Am I missing something, please?

Many thanks in advance and best regards,
Marco Bomben

Hej @mbomben

as always, you are a little ahead of your time… :slight_smile:

You are right, by providing the respective electric and weighting field most of the heavy lifting is done. However, we need one more ingredient: since the columns usually are of conductive material, the entrance of charge carriers therein should stop the propagation. Currently, if you have a zero-field region there, they will continue to diffuse.

Fortunately, this is not a very complex matter but only an extension of the geometry and a termination condition and I have worked on this already. The branch is currently under review, you can find it here and test it: Allow Definition of 3D Implants (!583) · Merge requests · Allpix Squared / Allpix Squared
This also allows you to define an implant material to be placed in the Geant4 model of the detector.

I’d love to test this - so if you have some reference fields for me, I’d be happy to give it a go.

Cheers,
Simon