Changing particle's arrival time

Dear developers,
I’d like to know if is it possible to change particle’s arrival time and which module could be used to do it. For example, where is placed the origin of the time reference system in the [DepositionPointCharge] module if I use the mip model?
Is it placed in the exact moment in which the the mip enters the sensor?
Is it possible to shift the time reference system in order to have the particle enering the sensor after a certain time interval defined by the user?

Thanks a lot and kind regards,
Chiara

Dear @cferrero

the README of the module (or in the user manual) currently states:

All charge carriers are deposited at time zero, i.e. at the beginning of the event.

So right now this is unfortunately not possible. It should, however, be rather simple to include this functionality, and if you are willing to invest a bit of time we would be glad to guide you through the process of making the changes and contributing them to the framework.

/Simon

Dear @simonspa,
yes of course! I’m happy to do all I can and to contribute to the framework.

Thanks,
Chiara

Hej @cferrero

cool, that’s nice to hear! If you have a CERN account, you can directly fork the repository and start your work there. We use CERN’s Mattermost for communication, feel free to join the Allpix Squared channel. If you don’t have a CERN account, let me know - we also have a fork on GitHub where we can work together.

To implement your functionality, you would have to add a new configuration parameter to the beginning of the DepositionPointCharge module and use it later on to add it as an offset.

Make sure to study Chapters 9 & 10 of the manual, which describe a bit the context for developing Allpix Squared. If you feel your code is ready for a first (re-)view, just open a merge request and we’ll handle it from there!

…and of course if there are any questions on the way don’t hesitate to come back to us!

Looking forward to receiving contributions from you,
Simon